BAND INTERVIEW: BEANS ON TOAST WITH JAY MCALLISTER

14 November

Music and politics have gone hand in hand for years, with artists such as The Clash and Billy Bragg using political and controversial lyrics to attack the establishment since the 70s – but it didn’t end there. Today, young artists are becoming more and more politically aware, and are using music as a platform to inspire the future generations. Among those artists is Beans on Toast, fronted by Jay McAllister, who confirmed that the band name fits well because “it’s cheap, easy and English, and who doesn’t like Beans on Toast, eh?”


Currently hitting up the states on tour with his new album A Spanner in the Works (available from December 1st), I managed to have a quick chat with Jay in-between his time gigging, pre gig ritual drinking and exploring New York City. When I asked him how things were going, he replied “Great! I’m currently in the US for 5 weeks, touring and drinking, and spending my time talking about Donald Trump with like-minded people in veggie cafe's” which then lead on to ask why he titled his new album ‘A Spanner in the Works’, and in his own words “it is referring to the phase – fucking things up”; which inevitably means it’s time for change. Noticed for being an openly topical lyricist who sings about politics, war, drugs and love, I wondered whether the front man realises that his music has a substantial impact on his audience, however the folk music singer told me “I take it with a pinch of salt, but I do believe in 99% of my songs”, he goes on “ It is extremely important to talk about movements, thoughts and feelings that are happening at the time, it’s just a simple way to change quit a lot”, and this definitely doesn’t go unnoticed in his new album.



 Singing about current affairs, one track really stood out – ‘The Drum Kit’ – where we are introduced to the issues facing the music venue industry. Intrigued, I asked Jay what his thoughts where about this, in which he replied “I used to work in a music venue, I know what it is like, noise licenses can be tough, but I don’t think music will go anywhere.” Obviously an issue very close to his heart, the Beans on Toast singer goes on to speak of how “the pressure should be on how we can open new music spaces, as well as clinging onto the old ones because that is just as important”, and he’s not wrong!

I asked Jay where his love for music came from, and what inspires him the most, in which he replied “my parents are my inspiration. They’re music lovers, my dad’s into country music and my mum is huge Beatles fan, but my influence to write comes through my thought and feelings and life itself.”

Beans on Toast - 2016


With his UK tour coming up, Jay told us “I’m looking forward to get going, I love touring”. Playing at Sheffield’s most iconic venue TheLeadmill on November 24th, the band are “extremely excited to get back to Sheffield after a long stint away”, noting “ we don’t underestimate the power of playing a gig, so we will be mixing up the line up with new and old tracks for everyone”. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments