THE STONE ROSES: BEAUTIFUL THING

29 June

I know, you are probably all wondering why I haven't done this review sooner, and I know I should be keeping up to date but London can really get in the way sometimes and honestly I have just been taking some time out to enjoy myself. That doesn't mean that I haven't been listening to The Stone Roses new single Beautiful Thing on repeat constantly... because I have. And hearing All For One live at the Etihad was actually 100% the most beautiful thing.


I mean what better timing than to throw a new track in our faces right before the Etihad gigs, as if we wasn't excited enough. For me, staying up till midnight to hear Beautiful Thing was not a chore, even if I was up for work at 7 am the next day. It was a brilliant start to the next working day, I had a new song to listen to on repeat whilst stood up on a moody, sweltering tube so I was in my element. I also noticed a lot of random people staring at my uncontrollable foot tapping and head banging but I just smile anyway. 

The song though, a solid 7 minutes of complete fulfillment. To many this is the 2nd coming so to speak after the much talked about All For One, which lets face it is fucking earth shattering, but somehow still managed to receive a mixture of lukewarm responses. Beautiful Thing introduces us softly, and I don't think any of us was prepared for what was about to hit us next. With many fans describing the song as "laid back bliss", the psychedelic groove gives the impression that this is a tune they have been jamming with since their stoned hazed days. The punk rock- acid house combination is what sets the Roses apart from any other band, allowing the funky Madchester rhythm we all know and love to shine.

Listen here: Beautiful Thing - The Stone Roses

All 4 members play their part, and this is arguably still old Stone Roses territory. Listening closely, Fools Gold can be heard behind the baseline, and in the drums; which will quite obviously get the crowd dancing like awkward Ian Brown-Liam Gallagher wannabe Manchurians. The Roses are undoubtably keeping it real, and they are definitely not doing it for the press. The reviews mean nothing to them as long as their die hard fans keep faith on their ability to create a sound many other bands can only dream of. Dance, Punk Rock, Acid House, Funk.. its the lot; I can not wait for the next one.

You Might Also Like

1 comments