ADELE, COLDPLAY AND MUSE TO HEADLINE GLASTONBURY: HOW ARE WE FEELING?

21 March

Waiting to hear who will be headlining Glastonbury makes me so nervous, and 2016 gave us Coldplay, Adele and Muse. 

Willingly every year thousands of people buy their tickets for the world renowned festival without even knowing one single artist who is performing, some would say we are mad, I say in these cases it is about so much more than the music.

But we would all love a decent headliner wouldn't we?

The anticipation is enough to make anyone crack and after several months of waiting patiently I feel like its a Kanye West disaster all over again. I was there 2015, Kanye West headlining the Pyramid stage. I didn't want to be there really it all came down to two things for me - I was there when I saw Kanye West headline Glastonbury and it was the most amazing experience ever OR I was there when I saw Kanye West get bottled off stage at Glastonbury... either way I was winning however neither happened. Kanye was pants and the audience was ace! I mean seriously Kanye what was you thinking with the 10 minute black out to get on a fucking cherry picker, the black out made everyone leave.

I begun the set stood near the back because it was so full and 30 minutes in I walked right down towards the stage, people clearly realised that there were better things going on like getting trashed in Shangri La or dancing the night away at Arcadia. Those who wanted comfort and peaceful music took themselves up to Strummerville (where you would find me no doubt).

So how are we feeling about the Adele announcement?

I am guessing for some this is fantastic news I mean she is huge right now... for others bleurgh, watching twitter explode was like watching the whole world collectively moan! Here's my take on this years headliners....


1. Coldplay

This band where do I begin. Announced as the first headlining act playing the pyramid on Sunday Coldplay in my judgement shouldn't have took this spot which is so worthy to many other great artists. Now I understand they have a new album out and it's all about what people are into in 2016 because that's what draws the crowds right? Yep, but along with Muse this will be the 2nd time Coldplay have headlined. This makes you wonder if there are any headliners left at all?

Coldplay, formed in 1996 and described as a very British rock band have a very large following but why? Their music seems so mundane and every song sounds the same. Their colourful, confetti endorsed tours auto tune and lack of lyrical content just introduces to me a very boring band.

Their new music relationship with Beyoncé is one that should have never happened. And again the fireworks, colourful paint and confetti is one that should have never happened. "Feeling drunk and high" ... I think you must have been high when you wrote this one Chris. Hymn For The Weekend doesn't feel very rock band and that's why it's a no from me.

Hymn For The Weekend - Coldplay ft. Beyoncé

2. Muse

Now Muse I don't mind as much. Although again I feel it is a little inappropriate that they should headline again having done so in 2010. My step sister introduced me to Muse when I was younger and I became instantly attached. She dragged me along to Sheffield Arena to see them in 2006 and at that age I literally thought they were my muse, my god damn religion. What did I know? I was 13.

Now hear me out, whilst I say I wouldn't mind Muse I think it is mainly due to me loving Matt Bellamy's voice. If they came on to the Pyramid stage and absolutely smashed Origin of Symmetry, Absolution or even better Black Holes and Revelations I would be in my element. However, I trust they will be offering their newest album Drones... which is absolutely pants!

So, after much consideration, Muse, unless you shred Supermassive Black hole I'm not bothered thank you.
Supermassive Black Hole - Muse



3. Adele

I think this one is probably well deserved in all honesty. While Adele isn't my cup of tea she isn't the worst in the industry and the way she took over the charts this year shows she is killing it. I believe the majority of Glastonbury goers will love this, whilst the rest may sit and question it.

Thinking about an Adele concert, I just wonder what you do? Sing along yes but watching her live seems very boring to me. All of her songs are very slow and relate to those who have gone through heart break... is that what you want at a festival? I cant help but think this will dampen the spirit of a Saturday night headliner.

Hello, from the other side .... of Glastonbury springs to mind.

Hello - Adele


Are you at Glastonbury this year? What are your thoughts?

You Might Also Like

0 comments